Sunday, May 20, 2012

Does Being Left-Handed Screw Me for Life?

Before you read this blog, please click on the link below and read the article because what I say here is gonna be related to the article.

Got this link from a friend earlier this week and I find it rather interesting.
So, back to the reason I'm writing this post is to share views on the article as a left-handed person myself.


#5 They'll Die Sooner

This is something I can't predict and I'm not going to.

Excerpt from the article:
So why are left-handed people so much more likely to kill themselves accidentally? Are they just fatally clumsy? Are they, as many cultures believe, such an affront to nature that nature actively seeks to destroy them?

Erm...okay..although I believe that I'm not fatally clumsy as far as I can tell but the last sentence really get to me.
Does nature really actively seeks to destroy lefties?!
Man, if that's the case, I think I need to be more low profile!!
But why would that be the case (referring to the former)? Aren't lefties part of the nature? Isn't being different is beautiful as well (ahem)?

One thing for sure is that I love to drive.
I've not driven in countries outside Malaysia but I do think I'm a good driver with good sense of directions despite the fact that some people feel their life is being threatened when they are in the car I'm driving. :-/
But hey, everything turned out well so far!
And I didn't pay duit kopi (bribe) to pass my driving exam ok! :P

More from the article,
Southpaws also get sick more often, possibly due to left-handers' lopsided brain chemistry. Research done on "true" left-handers (excluding those fence-sitting ambidextrous types) showed that lefties were 2.7 times more likely to suffer from immune disorders and 2.3 times more likely to have been hospitalized at some point. It's not their fault -- the double curse of left-handedness and the risk of spending your life in a plastic bubble likely came from your mother stressing out during pregnancy. Ironically, she may have been stressing about the possibility of pushing out a left-handed freak of a kid.

Wtf..again the last sentence...I actually think my mom is secretly proud of having a daughter like me (reasons being.........maybe not gonna share here :P )!
Although she did mention that she tried to make me write using my right hand when I was little but to no avail. So she stopped bothering! Whee! :P

#4. They're More Likely to Go Insane

I don't know about this but I do monologue like.......a lot.
I somewhat agree with this point because part of the article says lefties most likely to have mood disorders.
Can't agree more on that! :-X
But can openers don't drive me mad because I deal with right-handed can openers extremely well if I may say. Haha!
Gotta love how the author use the words to insult lefties!! Hmmmph!! Hahaha.


#3. They're Screwed at School

If you think about it, it's kind of surprising that left-handers are as emotionally balanced as they are. Right out of the box, left-handed kids realize the world wasn't quite made for them. At school, they do worse on timed exams and suffer awful back and neck cramps in the process. Why? Freaking right-handed desks. And scissors. And everything else.

Right...............I gotta admit I really dislike the foldable desks!! I can only rest my right hand which I didn't quite make use of. 
It's worse when the subject requires you to write a lot and your left hand gets so tired but you can't rest them anywhere but on your lap.
However, thankfully during my major exams, the desks provided are the normal rectangular ones!! Phew~ So, thank you to whoever who decided to put the rectangular desks in the exam hall!! <3 <3

.........and take notes in our awkward left-to-right written language, their hand smudging everything they write, on a desk designed for their reflection.
 
Hahhahaha...sometimes when I read the article, I actually think I'm laughing at myself and the left-handed community (sorry! Can't help it!).
Hand smudging thing is such a pain in the ass especially when I have to write fast but the ink doesn't dry fast enough for my left hand to continue writing!
Worst case is when I need to write long-ass answers fast and the side of my left palm will be blue all over depending on the color of the ink. Urgghh. But can wash off la so it's ok. Hahaha.

#2. They're More Easily Scared

Erm...I think I have to agree to this one.
However, my fear for scary movies only started in uni maybe because my hostel isn't the best place to stay at with palm trees and empty field surrounding the hostel.
When I was much younger, I was the type that wanted to watch horror movies so badly that I even tried to sneak into the cinema and was blocked by the cinema staff  for being under 18. Dammit.
Wasted my allowance nia.

And last but not least,

#1. Hating Them Is Ingrained in Our Culture

Such a hurtful and insensitive sentence!!

Lefties also have to be careful not to use their left hand to give or accept gifts, eat, or pass food. If they forget, it's not uncommon to see their dinner partners gaping in abject horror, like they just passed them a steaming bowl of their own feces, which isn't far from the actual implication.

I actually do everything with my left hand (yes dear, that includes wiping my ass) haahhahahaha.
But for shaking hands it's understood to use right hand la (unless you're in a girl guide meeting which requires you to shake hands with your left hand).
So yea..don't ask me to pass any food to you if you mind. :P

And after all that, he has to end with this:
If you're one of the 10 percent of the population who have become progressively more depressed reading all this, for obvious reasons, then you should know that there's an upside -- you're more likely to be president. Of the seven U.S. presidents since Nixon, only Carter and Bush Jr. were right-handed. So good luck, but don't get your hopes up!

No thanks, I've never thought of being a president in Malaysia especially (Prime Minister in that case).


My two cents:
I don't understand why some parents are so against having their kids to do or write using their left hand. If they are born that way (guess who gave birth to them?), then why don't you just let them be the way they are?
Why do you need to force them to be part of the norm?
I know of some cases where some of my friends who were born lefties but were forced to use their right hand instead.
Some turned out to be ambidextrous (which is brilliant for them!) but is this some kind of discrimination towards the left-handed people? Are we really that weird??

So, yea I think parents should just let the kids make do with whatever they can on both hands and let them live their lives!
In fact, I wonder if you actually successfully make your child to write using right hand (against the nature in that case), will they actually think using their left or right brain? Hmmm.

A photo of myself preparing to noms with my left hand. Haha.

Overall, up till now, I feel like my life has only gotten better.
Although there are some downsides but I don't think they were caused by my being a lefty?
So if you're a lefty and you feel like you're a weirdo or something, get over it!
Brace the fact that there are only 10% of us in the population which makes us really special in a way. :)

PS: I know the author is probably making jokes here and there in the article so please take lightly all the thoughts I've shared too! :) In fact, I can't stop laughing while reading for some reasons. :-/


xoxo,

3 comments:

adrienne said...

Haha nice post! When I was younger, I wanted to be left handed because it's uncommon but mainly because my dad is (and dad's my hero). I wonder if I could still draw and paint like I do, if I've tried harder to be left handed...

I remember your blue ink stained hands and how cool it was to see you twirl your pen!

CL said...

Haha,...why are you still able to remember all those small details?? You're so amazing, Adryn!!! <3 <3 About the twirling...erm. Let's just forget about that. hahahhah.

I dont't quite believe being left-handed actually makes you more creative...I can't draw to save my life and I bet you know that too! Hahaha.

Anonymous said...

It's Cracked (dot) com... Take everything from that page with a pinch of salt, they're all meant for satire and entertainment (with links to legit?? research) =P

My Traveled Map

You will also like these posts!